The places you'll go

My photo
This is a blog about travel in Southern California, particularly sans-car. I have faith in the Metrolink and respective transportation systems, but does anyone else? So here's a lay down of what to expect while using LA public transportation, how to get tickets, and how to get where you want to go!

Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Getting to the airport sans car

I’m willing to venture that one of the most lamented drives is the journey to and from the airport, especially the oh-so-far-away Los Angeles International Airport. This drive encompasses everything commuters hate: long distance, traffic, anxiety of being late, and a pre-orchestrated carpool arrangement. Or if one is not so lucky to designate a driver for pick up or drop off, hefty airport parking will run your wallet empty. For reference, the last time I parked at the airport, via ‘The Parking Spot,’ my bill was over $100 for five days of parking. Did I mention that this isn’t even located in the airport vicinity? You have to take a shuttle in addition to driving to the parking structure.

As frustrating as it is to drive to LAX from La Verne, or even Pasadena, where I live, it is sometimes a necessity. This is why I’m pleased to share my newfound airport commute, the LAX Flyaway! There isn’t a comprehensive website for the service, which is probably why many aren’t aware of it. I just went to Union Station and winged it, and happened to find this amazing service, so allow me to share my findings.

What is it?
The LAX Flyaway shuttle is a bus that runs from Union Station, Van Nuys, and Westwood to LAX. It doesn’t seem to enticing yet, but let me explain.

When can I go to the airport?
The bus operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Finally! Something that’s open all night in LA! For most of the day, it leaves Union Station (or the other 2 locations) every 30 minutes, on the hour and half hour. From 1 a.m. to 5 a.m., it leaves every hour on the hour.

Driving & Parking Directions
From La Verne, take the 10 West. Merge onto the 101 North. Exit on Vignes Street. Turn left at Gateway Plaza. Parking is located under the Patsaouras Transit Plaza (there will be signs). Parking will only set you back $6 a day (nice break from the $20-something-a-day near the airport) Of course I’m going to suggest taking the Metrolink into Union Station, but if you must drive, it’s pretty straightforward.
Cost
This is my favorite part. It costs $4 each way to and from LAX!! Children 2-12 are $2 each way. For a limited time, the Flyaway service was having a promotional deal where if you rode into Union Station via Metro or Metrolink, showing your ticket would allow you a free commute to the airport. I’m uncertain how long that was going on for, but just in case it still is, keep your ticket stubs!

Getting to the buses from Union Station
Once in Union Station, travel down the corridor in the direction that points you towards the red line. You’ll know you’re in the right direction when you get to the end of the station and you see this:

Exit the building on the lower level, and follow signs that say ‘Flyaway.’ There will be a brief walk up to the bus plaza. Again, Union Station is heavily labeled so you won’t get led astray. Once you approach the bus area, there will be a small kiosk next to the busses where you purchase your amazingly inexpensive ticket.

But Lesley, I don’t want to ride in a dirty, smelly LA bus.
You won’t have to! Contrary to my prior expectations, and probably yours as well, the Flyaway bus is actually quite comfortable. For starters, it is a charter bus, not a city bus (yes, this means the type of bus with the comfortable headrests and cloth seats, usually decorated with some outdated rainbow graphic). The lights dim as you leave the station, the seats are spacious, and most importantly, since your fellow passengers are only airport commuters like yourself, you don’t have to worry about weird smells, passed out people, or threats of muggings or other undesirable inner city bus exposures.

How long does it take to get to LAX?
From my experience, it doesn’t take long at all. I boarded a 7 p.m. bus, with an anticipated hour and a half to spare before my flight, yet it only took 35 minutes. Granted, this is a heavy traffic area, in a heavy traffic time of day. But the bus has the advantage of riding in the carpool lane. For the first time in my life, I actually had an extra hour to spare at the airport before boarding for my plane. I’d recommend leaving an hour before your check in time though, just to be on the safe side.

Departing the bus at LAX
The driver will stop at your terminal, so be sure to know what airline you’re traveling on. They help get your baggage from the storage area, too. I’m not sure if tips are expected, but my driver seemed appreciative of the dollar I gave her (come on, you’ve spent only $4 thus far!)

So to recap, the Flyaway system is brilliant. I’m never going to burden anyone with driving me to the airport ever again, or put myself in financial shambles from doing a park and ride. Besides being completely affordable, it’s just good to have a stress-free commute to the airport, a place of high anxiety for me anyway. So do yourself a favor and try it out next time. Hooray for Union Station!

No comments: